Wednesday, June 11, 2014

BBQ in the Classroom

Since so many of my students are new to me this year, I decided to repeat our BBQ unit from last year.  It is the perfect way to end the year, because all my kids LOVE learning about food!  If you want more info on this unit, check out my post from last year detailing all of the activities included or check out the product on TPT.  

Our favorite part of the unit (and a new addition this year), was having a BBQ in the classroom.  I found a super cute red/white checkered table cloth from the Target Dollar Spot (LOVE!).  We split the kids into 4 groups to complete all the cooking work.  Group 1 did all the cutting of the veggies for the pasta salad; Group 2 put the pasta salad together; Group 3 made the hot dogs on the George Forman "grill;" and Group 4 made the Kool-Aid.

Once we were done cooking, we set up the food in a little buffet line so the kids could create their plates of food.  We had the non-verbal students use PECS to request what they wanted and the other kids had to tell the adults vocally what they wanted/did not want.  I bought relish, mustard, and ketchup for the hot dogs, and figured most kids would NOT want relish (I was right)...but I did this so that the kids could practice answering "yes" and "no" questions (i.e. "Do you want relish?"   "NO").

The kids had a blast cooking (and eating) their BBQ.  I was shocked that so many kids actually liked the pasta salad and hot dogs!  It was one of our most successful cooking sessions this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment