Last year, I did a week of posts giving an in-depth look at most of the stations in my room. This year, I wanted to do the same thing, but focusing mostly on what I have changed, updated, or left out! Every year when setting up my room, I ask myself about what worked and what didn't the previous year. Sometimes during this process, I start to realize the old way wasn't as efficient or organized as I would like. It is easier to set things up the same way each year, however, sometime making small changes can make your life much easier.
The stations/areas I will cover over the next couple weeks are:
1. Work Station and Factory
2. Morning Group
3. Language Station
4. Break Area
5. Hallway and Coat room
So today, we will start off with Work Station and Factory. These are both independent stations.
At both Work Station and Factory, students work alone. However, I do have an aid monitoring these stations to teach them how the station works, ensure no one runs away or switches their work, and to deliver reinforcers as needed. For the most part, the tasks at these stations consist of topics students have already mastered. It provides them a time to practice and maintain the skills as well as develop some independence. I want my students to be able to work without someone standing over them and hounding them or by being prompted to do each part of a task. I often tell my assistants, "If he/she needs help on that, it doesn't belong in his work station." If things are too hard for a student to do alone, then they are utilized at my other direct instruction stations run by me or my assistants.
I completely changed my work station from last year and I am SUPER EXCITED about it! First of all, this station is actually used for 26 kids with autism....yes, you read that correctly! I have 13 students and my coworker also has 13 students. We both set up a few stations in our rooms that can be completed by all of our students. This gives our kids more activities to complete during the day, gives them the opportunity to work in another setting, and also splits up the workload between us teachers.
My beginner learners work on file-folders, puzzles, sorting tasks, etc. I store their extra work materials in this bookshelf.
Next up came the laminating. I probably spent a week after school laminating all of the worksheets at the end of last school year. Over the summer, I found $1 binders at target. I bought 3 different colored binders to represent the 3 levels of students/worksheets.
The binders are color-coded by level and I also taped a label onto each binder which specifies the binder number and a list of students at that level. The binders are numbered to aid my assistant in keeping track of who had which binder (since each binder is filled with different work).
Here is a sample of a beginner binder,
a mid-level binder,
and the advanced binder. I made a few extra binders, so if students need to advance a level over the course of the year, we are prepared. We may just have to add some harder worksheets to the advanced level when the time comes!
Currently, my students are sorting balls by size/color as well as
sorting turtles by color.
Well, that is it for today...next up, I will be discussing how I re-vamped my morning group!