Sunday, May 12, 2013

PLANTING!!

Although this weather is quite confusing (75 degrees one day and 45 degrees the next?), we decided it was about time to do some planting.  Our science theme this month is plants (I am hoping to get this unit up on TPT soon!), and our experiment is planting/taking care of our own plants.  So, last week, my students did a sequencing activity where they cut and pasted the order to follow when planting.  

Then, they planted their own basil plants.  Each day, they are responsible for watering their plants.  Our occupational therapist recommended using a spray bottle instead of our watering can to help the kids work on fine motor skills (and I like the spray bottle, because it is less likely to make as big a mess!).  Hopefully our basil grows and then maybe we can use it to do a cooking activity!  Here are some pictures from planting.  My kids were very concerned about getting themselves and/or the table dirty throughout the entire process...haha!

3 comments:

  1. I would love to see more of your planting unit. I am trying to create one as I go along here this month. I would love to know what other kinds of things are in your science center this month too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always interested to see how other fellow special education teachers plan, especially since some teach all subjects, and some teach just a few; how far in advance do you plan each topic/unit? Love reading all your posts!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually planned them all in one year. I started over the summer outlining ideas, and then solidified them as I went throughout the year. Now, I repeat them each year and add activities/worksheets at higher/lower levels depending on my students. Check out this post for more info on my science planning. http://autismtank.blogspot.com/2013/04/science-organization.html

      Delete