Saturday, December 8, 2012

Yummy? OR Yucky?

I used to ask my kids about their preferred foods, "do you like ___?" Most of them would say "yes" to everything.  Even when I had food to offer in the classroom, many of them would say "yes" to everything (even if they didn't like it).  So, I decided we needed to work on talking about the concept of "yummy" foods and "yucky" foods.  I made this book about different ice cream flavors.  Each page is a different flavor and kids have to say (or match a picture) whether or not that flavor of ice cream is "yummy" or "yucky."  I tried to make them pretty obvious (i.e. dirty sock ice cream is yucky) since the point of this book was more to help them discriminate between the terms "yummy" and "yucky."  Once this is mastered, I was able to offer food items to my kids and have them say "no thank you."  Also, at lunch or during cooking, we always ask "is it yummy? or yucky?"  Now they are able to answer! 

Here are some picture of the copy of the book we use in my classroom.  Here are the cover and first page.



Here is an example of a "yummy" page.  

The student takes the "yummy" picture from the left side page and velcros it to the page they are reading. 

 Here is an example of a "yucky" page.

 The student takes the "yucky" picture from the left side page and velcros it to the page they are reading. 
The kids love this book because it is about something they all love....ice cream!  And the yucky flavors are kind of silly, so they all get a kick out of it!  I also love this book, because it is interactive (for nonverbal students) and uses easy repetitive vocabulary for students who are beginning readers.  It also works on comprehension as students have to answer a question (granted it is the same question) on each page.

And here is a link to purchase the materials for this book at my TeachersPayTeachers store for only $1.50. 

No comments:

Post a Comment