Saturday, December 1, 2012

Mr. Potato Head Language Activities

I love using Mr. Potato head with some of my beginning talkers!  I started this when I had 1-3 graders and am thinking it is on the verge of not being age-appropriate for my current 3-4 graders.  But, I still love whipping it out every once and awhile.  Over the course of one Christmas season (sales!), I collected about 3 different potato heads and accessories.  I store everything in this big plastic tub.  Basically, the goal is to get the child to request each item they want for their potato head.  For some students, I have them ask for the items vocally, while with others, I use PECS.  Not only does this work on developing complete spoken sentences, but it also works on learning body parts, taking turns, and increasing vocabulary.


 I did this activity with two students the other day.  I gave them each an empty potato head and had them take turns requesting for the parts they needed.  Both of these students can talk and both usually use 3-word utterances (i.e. "I want ___").  So for this activity, I required them to add a color or number as an attribute to describe the item they were requesting.    I have pretty much every accessory in multiple colors, so I want the student to say "I want the green glasses" instead of just "I want glasses,"


Here are the two finished potato heads!

Once it is time to clean up the potatoes, I switched from working on expressive language to receptive language.  I said "I want the shoes" or "I want one arm" and see if my student could identify the correct part and hand it back to me to put in the bin.

Here is the set-up for my PECS book when I do this activity with nonverbal or low-verbal students.  I have done it with just body parts on the book as well as added colors for students to create longer sentences.

8 comments:

  1. I too work with students with Autism, along with students with other special needs. I am so glad I have found your blog! I am your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found me as well! Thanks for following!

      Delete
  2. I managed to get two Potato heads and a big bag of accessories from a car-boot sale this weekend for £5 (thrilled to bits!) - can't wait to get this task up and running in my class - I'm a new teacher going into a class of 6 children with profound Autism and challenging behaviour!! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great! Hope it goes well...my kids always love this activity!

      Delete
  3. Where did you get that book? I need something more sturdy to hold my pictures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My school district provides them for students who need a PECS book. I think they are from Pyramid Education Consultants, Inc. The one on their site looks pretty similar: http://www.pecsproducts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=114

      Delete
  4. I have been very lucky finding many Potato Heads and accessories at Goodwill and other thrift shops. I love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have this available to purchase and download? I had this exact activity made a few years ago but it disappeared from one of my schools. I would like to use it again, but do not have access to Boardmaker right now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete